Feb 20, 2013

Sunburst Granny Bag

Hello my LOVELY people!

My morning cup of coffee, little people asleep, banker off to office, computer and house all to self, blogging and catching up - perfect morning i say! Hope you guys are doing crafty and good...

You know there are some patterns which just speak to you, call you, remind you and then you have to have a crack at it? Yes, THIS pattern absolutely falls into that category. Into my second year of blogging, i thought maybe i could write a pattern using this basic square to create a bag. Well, its not actually a pattern...its more of a how-to thing...Do stay with me...he he





 

For this bag you will need:

*12 crochet squares hooked together in 2 sets of 3x2 rows and columns.
*Base color thread of both cotton and acrylic in same shade.
*Lining cloth.
*Wooden handles/handles.

**Note**
1.While joining granny squares i used the SC method, but i changed the thread after every edge to match up with the square. So in the pic above, you see that the mustard square and red square are joined by mustard thread. The red square and the purple one are joined by red thread and so on....
2.I really need to line all my bags - for the only reason that good patterns have some gaps in them. Also i feel the durability of the bag increases.
3.Handles - They reeeeally enhance the final product and also the bag is easier to use. Have tried crochet handles but not like real handles i am afraid.

How to:

Step1: Assemble your 2 sets of the granny squares


Step2 : Holding a strand of cotton thread and a strand of acrylic yarn crochet the base and sides. I used Laura Cotton and Stylecraft DK - both in white shades. The base should measure as much as the length of the granny patch and the width is up to you...I used SC again as they form a thick and sturdy base.

 Step3: Once you are done with the base, do the sides in a similar fashion. Join the threads to any side edge of the base and SC along the side. Continue in this manner till you reach the height of the width of the granny square.. Maybe a pic is more useful than my gibberish!!
Step4: Attach the base+side piece to the granny patch with the white color cotton thread again using SC itself.

Step5: SC with double strands at the top to give a neat finish. I did 2 rows of SCs.

Step6: Now the difficult part..need to line it.. I am sure there are lotsa tutorials out on the net for this. But i really like THIS as it is explained with examples and i like such explanations :)

Now i don't have a sewing machine(yet) so i had to hand sew this part and it was pretty boring job. But had to get it done right...

Step7: Attach your handles again with 2 strands and SCs. Do this by YO the handle...


 You can do a zip too..but that's really out of my hands(literally) for now.

There you go, a perfect pretty sunburst bag!
Here's my favourite square:


Hope you guys could follow what i have blabbered! If you do need any more info please feel free to pop a query! 

Now i leave you with a riddle. What can you make out of the below picture? Fabric, paper rolls, or..let me know :)



 Have a great day ahead!!

Lotsa love......
xxx

46 comments:

  1. I think they are polymer clay handles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara is right, that is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely how-to for the sunburst granny bag.
    Loved your bag & the choice of colors.
    Cute little one :-)

    They appear as Fabric to me.. May be Paper rolls .. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely handbag. It makes the sun go shining.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bag, Rajeshwari! You are so talented!
    I could never get those bag handles here. And could never sew a lining, as I don't have a sewing machine :)hehe
    I'd make a necklace :) it looks like craft clay.may be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bag. I like this colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful and colorful bag!:)Crochet handles are not sturdy and tend to stretch and sag after sometime. I have a sewing machine, but I have confidence on my hand-sewing only:)
    I purchased two handles in over enthusiasm last month ...just a crochet bag needs to be attached to it ;)
    I guess, it is a felt fabric or Clay roll or if it is something edible, then may be fondant..not sure if we get these printed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this bag, so bright and colourful....well done you and brilliant tutorial too xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it Rajeswari - it's so pretty with all the bright and cheerful colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. forgot to mention - your daughter is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice tutorial and a lovely bag. Just love the sunbursts of colour. Are the squares made only with Laura cotton? Kisses to the pretty model.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your colours! Great job and such a beautiful bag!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tuto, I love your bag, sunny colors:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. your bag is fantastic Rajeswari, really inspiring! I also like the sound of sending the banker off to the office to do the essentials!! and I would say that the picture is fabric? a quilt to make maybe? Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful! It is so very happy and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a pretty bag!!! YI feel inspired to make one too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, i should make one too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely, i should make one of them too

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this bag, It look just great

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great, that's really l♥vely!! Thanks for the how-to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This would be a great bag to carry a WIP in...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice bag and I think the riddle picture looks like polymer clay pieces possible handles/grips. I really like the pattern on the red one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's a beautiful bag. I love the colors and the fabric inside.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I want this! rainbow bag! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pretty girl holding the pretty bag. Its a lovely bag. Why should acrylic and cotton thread be used for the base ?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Felicidades es un trabajo realmente hermoso!!!
    http://haberhabermagdis.blogspot.mx/
    un abrazo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful! I've pinned this on my Pinterest page. I hope to make this bag soon.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Rajeshwari! I just joined to follow your blog. Very nice designs! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an idea.. Absolutely awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an idea. Absolutely mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous bag! Where did you get the handles from?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Olá,
    Bom dia!

    Lindo trabalho! Parabéns!

    Nilda Souza
    artedebordar2012.blogspot.com
    facebook.com/atelieartedebordar

    ReplyDelete
  33. the bag is gorgious! goes on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Rajeshwari!! You have used such lovely colours for the bag. I wonder where you find those bag handles. The bag is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. A little hello from France just to tell you that this bag is gorgious ! I like your blog. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the bag is the easiest or best explained one I've found so far, just one query really why did you use cotton thread and yarn for the bar and sides? Love Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi love the bag its the easiest or the best explained one I've found so far. Just one query really why did you use cotton thread and yarn for the base and the sides? Love Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  38. HOla, preciosidad de bolso...me encantan los trabajos con ganchillo...ya desde niña los hago.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  39. Un bolso precioso me encanta y quizas me anime hacerlo .
    Besos Rosa !!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Enhorabuena, muy muy bonito! Saludos Esther

    ReplyDelete

I am comment friendly! Would love to hear from you guys:)